Whether your home has flooded from a natural disaster or from another source, there are steps you must take to ensure you get the help you need.
Some of the first steps to take:
- One of the first things to do is take pictures of your property, and its contents. Its very important to have photo proof of the damage.
- You will want to begin cleaning up the mess and destruction left over by the flood, this will no doubt incur some cost so make sure to keep any receipts for the clean up items purchased.
- Contact an InterNACHI certified inspector to help you with chronicling the damage to your property, they can also suggest recommendations on what needs to be done.
- It is important to note however, that if your home is flooded due to a natural disaster, other steps will also need to be taken. If the president has declared your area a Major Disaster zone, then contact FEMA who can provide you with assistance.
- It is wise to contact your insurance company as soon as possible, as they may have a time limit within which to make a claim.
We hope that this information has proved useful to you. If you would like more assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us here at Wise Home Inspections.