wind mitigation inspection
A Wind Mitigation inspection is a way to save big bucks on your insurance premium if your home has certain features that reduce risk of damage or loss in a hurricane. Since 2003 insurance companies in Florida have been required to give insurance discounts on a whole range of items if they are present. Savings of up to 40% are possible!
These are particularly important in south Florida which has been designated a High Velocity Hurricane Zone. Over 90% of homes have one or more features that provide added protection against windstorm and may qualify for some insurance discounts. Moreover, if your house is in Broward or Miami-Dade and was built after Hurricane Andrew (1994) or in other counties after 2002 it will usually have been built with many wind resistive construction features that are likely to qualify you for significant discounts.
In order to get those insurance discounts, you need to have a Wind Mitigation Inspection performed to see if your home has certain features. Even if you don’t have impact glass or hurricane shutters you may still qualify for a discount. The following items make your home more resistance to wind storms and may qualify you for discounts:
- Roof coverings such as shingles that meet the FBC requirements. If your house has had a new roof since 1994 you may qualify for a significant discount!
- Shape of roof (hip, gable, flat, etc…).
- Roof decks that have been installed with large nails and close spacing. Plenty of older houses qualify for discounts for this.
- Hurricane clips or straps that attach the roof structure to the walls. Again, lots of houses will get a discount for the clips or straps they have.
- Protection of openings (windows and doors) with shutters or impact glass.
- Secondary water barrier that prevents the roof from leaking if the roof covering is damaged.
- Home built after 1994 and built to the Florida Building Code in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties
For a more detailed explanation of Wind Mitigation and insurance credits
Do I need a 4 Point Inspection?
For a small inspection fee you may be able to save hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year on your insurance premiums! Call us today.
Schedule Your Home Inspection or call/text 954-608-3366
We do Wind Mitigation Inspections in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Dania Beach, Davie, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, Margate, Miramar, North Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Pompano Beach, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Sunrise, Tamarac, Weston, Wilton Manors and Miami-Dade County.