Bad electrical panels
These are more common than you would think. This electrical panel is one of the worst I have seen:
- the panel is barely hanging there on only 2 screws
- the knockout covers are missing so there is no protection from electrocution
- it is rusting out with a big hole in the top for water to get in.
- the main lugs are corroding
- the breakers are so old they may not even trip if the circuit is overloaded
- there is no main disconnect switch to turn the power off to the house in an emergency
The most common bad electrical panels do not have all these problems but they may have one or two.
The most common bad electrical panels are actually identified by their brand: Federal Pacific, Sylvania and Zinsco, however, it is surprising how often distribution or sub panels are incorrectly wired.